Thursday, July 28, 2011

Nothing Worth Anything Ever Goes Down Easy

I'm still on a huge music binge, and Mat Kearney has been getting some serious air time.  He is a fantastic artist, a Christian who is making great music (I call it great music, not Christian music...just like I would with music that is great in any genre.)  Anyways, he has a line in a song that goes "Nothing worth anything ever goes down easy."  Boy, isn't that the truth.

You probably know someone who seems to accomplish anything and everything with easy grace.  They belong to a pretty exclusive club, one I'm never going to be invited to join.  When I look back at my life, the most rewarding, fulfilling parts have never gone down easy.  Not a whole lot HAS gone down easy and when it did, it either had that "too good to be true" feel (which of course it was) or the hollowness of knowing that there is little value in things that are easy.  While I still hate the struggle, I am learning to appreciate the refining that happens in the fight.

Marriage, career, parenting, faith---not one of those things has gone down easy for me.  I'm a selfish, stubborn person.  Believe it or not, that puts a strain on marriage!  I have to fight those impulses to look out for number one all the time and put my wife's feelings and needs above mine.  It's not easy.  Our culture teaches us that things are supposed to be done our way all the time.  I can't deny that mentality rubs off on me and I have to kick back against that mindset every day.  Marriage is hard.

I love to work.  My career is fulfilling, but I have to remind myself that my worth is not found in what I accomplish.  My worth is found in my relationship with Christ, but that is always difficult to internalize in moments of frustration and defeat.  Too often I ride the roller coaster of success and failure and my emotions are along for the ride.  I can be my own worst enemy, and the last thing most of us need is another enemy.  There will always be people out there who will try to criticize your work and break you down...it's best that you don't add to your own peanut gallery.  On top of all that, it is difficult to be a young man doing an older man's job.  Usually, when I talk to athletic directors and principals, I'm the younger voice in the conversation.  I'm thankful that God has positioned me in a great place to use me, but it doesn't halt the feelings of frustration or inadequacy that come along with inexperience.  Growing into a career is hard.

Parenting...well, most of you reading it probably know that it's hard.  It's extra hard when your parenting career begins with teenagers at thirty!  Working as a youth pastor and teacher for a decade has helped a little, but it's not the same as living with kids and being responsible for them.  This is another area where there are plenty of highs and lows, and it is difficult to keep your emotions and self worth from rising and falling with each situation.  Parenting is a challenge when you are a leader who is self-acknowledged control freak (I hope not to an extreme, but it sure is hard to evaluate ourselves, isn't it?)  You so badly want the best for your children and it is difficult to allow them to make their own choices and along with those choices, their own mistakes.  Even thought I am completely cognizant of my own failings as an adolescent,  I still cringe at their errors.  I know this comes from a heart of love, but it also brings frustration.  Sharing the parenting with three other people just adds a few more layers of challenge.  Parenting is hard.

I think we assume sometimes that faith should be easy.  Salvation brings joy and freedom and those sound like easy words sometimes, don't they?  Yet, Jesus made it clear that in this life we would have trouble.  Following Him is difficult on two fronts---internal struggle and external struggle.  I know what it takes to have a relationship with Christ and yet so often I find myself missing the mark.  I'm clear on what sin is.  I still willfully and knowingly sin.  I know I should engage myself in God's Word everyday.  I often pass over my Bible all day without a second thought.  I know that connecting to God (and to anyone for that matter) involves communication.  I struggle to pray and have a hard time making it a priority.  Christianity is hard, internally.  I struggle against myself, my flesh and my impulses.  Meanwhile, a war rages against me---and you---by the forces of this world.  We are bombarded with filth, with self-centered thinking, and with consumerist worldviews.  These things surround us and it is difficult to find escape.  Anyone who thinks faith should be easy is probably not being very honest with themselves.  Or maybe those people are the chosen few in the "easy grace" club.  I'm sure not.  Faith is hard.

I always feel a little better thinking about Job.  Talk about a guy knew a little something about things not going down easy.  He lost his children, most of his income, suffered horrible physical pain and endured the silence of God.  Yet, he had the trust and fortitude to say "But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me I shall come forth as gold."  His life was hard, but Job understood that the struggle was God's hand refining him.  He maintained his hope in the Lord.  And, when I step away from my life and look at it with God's perspective, I know that these things that are hard are all areas that God is using to make me more like Him.  I have to refocus on the finish line, keeping my eye on the prize that is eternal life with Him.  God, keep my perspective eternal and not on the transient.  Help me to know that these light and momentary troubles are achieving for me an eternal glory that outweighs this life.

Yeah, nothing worth anything goes down easy.  But the truth in that statement is that when things aren't easy, they are probably worth it.

2 comments: